Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:34:07 +0000
From:      Peter <peter@worldinternet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

 HI,

I have just got FreeBSD 2.2.5 and am trying to install it. I have tryied
to boot from the cd-rom and floppy disk. But get the following error:

 boot:
 booting 0:fd(0,a)kernel @ 0x279000
 text=0x12a000 data0x0 bss=0xa00 symbols=[+0x600+0x4+0x270+0x4+0x1f4]
 total=0x3a446c entry point=0x279000
 Uncompressing kernel...done
 Booting the kernel

 Fatel trap9: general protection fault while in kernel mode

 instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf01aad71
 stach pointer = 0x10:0xefbfff98
 framed pointer = 0x10:0xefbfffb0
 code segment = base 0x0 , limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b

 processor eflags = resume IOPL = 0
 current process = 0 ( )
 interrupt mask = net tty bio
 panic: general protection fault
 Automatic reboot in 15 sec - press a key on the console to abort

Did you create a boot floppy?
Did you install from CD?
How many hard drives are in this computer?
How many other operating systems?
What is the computer configuration?
How far down the install process did you get?

The configuration of my machine is as follows,

IBM 200 6x86MX
32 Mb EDO RAM
3.2 Gb HDD
2 Mb Cirrus Logic PCI Vga card
24x Matsushita Cd-rom Drive

I also have a PRI DOS partition with a size of 102 Mb on a FAT16. Which is
runing a windows 95 shell.

Does anyone know what the problem is and what to do about it.

PLEASE!!

		peter@worldinternet.net