Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:49:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sleepless in Brisbane <snowy@snowy.org>
To:        Jeff Blaufuss <Jeff_Blaufuss@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd boot error

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Jeff Blaufuss wrote:

> I just had to reinstall my FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE system, and now I am
> getting this error on startup:
>
> Local package initialization: sshdOct 12 20:41:46 marathon sshd[163]:
> error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in u
> se.
> Oct 12 20:41:46 marathon sshd[163]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.
>
> What is wrong and how would I fix this?

Are you trying to start sshd in any of your rc.d scripts (an old version
perhaps of sshd2) and sshd_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf?   It does
look like you may have more than one copy of sshd starting (remember that sshd
comes with 4.1 by default - you don't have to install another copy out of
ports).