Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:54:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/2571: Maxima lacks pkg directory

>Number:         2571
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Maxima lacks pkg directory
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I found description of maxima in:
http://www.can.nl/SystemsOverview/General/MAXIMA.html
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
add:
COMMENT
a large computer algebra system for symbolic and numerical computations

DESCR
Originally MACSYMA was developed by the MATH lab group at M.I.T. The
descendants of MACSYMA (circa 1982) fall into two camps, viz., the
commercialized Symbolics MACSYMA and its successor from Macsyma, Inc.,
and the versions released to National Energy Software Center at Argonne,
Illinois, which are based on the "public" MIT source code for the DEC
PDP-10 MACLisp system. The latter ones do not have the Symbolics
enhancements, but they have been modified from time to time by several
individuals or groups. One of these modifications is known as MAXIMA.
It is a Common-Lisp based implementation informally maintained by Prof.
W. Schelter at the University of Texas.
MAXIMA is not public domain code. A license should be obtained from

ESTSC - Energy Science & Technology Software Center
P.O. Box 1020 Oak Ridge TN 37831-1020
Phone: 615-576-2606