Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:15:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced Demonstration Article

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:

> I recently received email about an article on the conference where
> Intel's CEO demonstrated a Merced running Linux, W64 (Win 2000), and
> Win 98. Any one that is interested can read about the demonstration at
> http://www.inquiry.com/pubs/infoworld/vol21/issue36/T16-36.asp

which says they are shipping samples to OEM partners.   It then talks about
the PIII stuff they are going to ship in the next year.  No dates for IA64
stuff.  It also calls the IA64 a "low-cost" part, which flies in the face of
everything I have heard about it.  (and everything Intel...).  Standard "gee
whiz" marketing piece, with no substance.   The only thing I see is that
Intel is further behind than I thought htey were.

David Scheidt