Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:19:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        grady@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommendation for FreeBSD laptop configuration for sound production?

> To summarize, I'm looking for recommendations for a laptop with:
>
>     good sound card
>     >1G disk
>     SCSI
>     reasonable # of external ports

I'm partial to these three manufacturers:
1) IBM - They are IMHO the best built laptops on the market.  The 560E
   model would be my choice.
   Pros:
     * Well built
     * Good support
     * For the 560, it's light, and has the *best* keyboard I've seen on
       a laptop, and some FreeBSD hackers own them, so support exists. :)
   Cons:
     * Sometimes IBM tries to do things a bit different, but generally
       speaking they're pretty well supported in FreeBSD
     * Expensive

2) NEC - I have an older Versa that works great.  Newer models are
   reported to also work great.
   Pros:
     * Use standard components.  Nothing funky to cause you support
       grief.
     * Great performance.  They almost always rate as one of the top 5
       fastest notebooks in tests.
   Cons:
     * Expensive
     * Heavy

3) Digital (the HiNote Ultra II looks nice)
   Pros:
     * Use standard components.  Nothing funky to cause you support
       grief.
     * People who own them love them.
   Cons:
     * I haven't heard from anyone lately who owns them, so I don't know
       well they work with newer FreeBSD kernels.  (I don't suspect
       you'd have problems, but you never know...)
     * Digital isn't one of the 'big players', and haven't upgraded
       their laptop line in a while.

Personally, if I had to buy a laptop *today*, I'd probably buy the IBM
560E ThinkPad.  However, my second choice would be the DEC.  I'm biased
towards lighter boxes since I travel alot, and my box is a beast to lug
around.  (I had a Toshiba Libretto 50 for awhile, and although it is
pretty light at 1.8lbs, the keyboard makes it useless for real work.)

I'm in the market for a laptop now, but so far nothing has been *that*
much better than my old P75 NEC that I want waste my laptop budget on a
new one, so if anyone has any suggestions on a 'gotta have' laptop I'm
all eyes/ears.

As far as 'sound-cards' go, it appears that most of the newer laptops
use sound-blaster clones, so I doubt you'd have any luck getting a
laptop with a card that's any better/worse than it's competition.

The biggest issues for laptops I see are:
1) Screen size
2) Disk size
3) Keyboard
4) Size
5) weight
6) Compatability/speed

I'd stay away from the newer 'CardBus' machines, simply because I don't
think there is any support in FreeBSD for them yet.  (Someone correct me
if I'm wrong, since I haven't done any laptop hacking in months.)

Nate