Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 22:58:36 -0400
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        "Brian O'Connor" <boc@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: seperate / /usr and /var partitions

Hello Brian,

I always thought is was so that filling up the spooling/log directories (in
/var) doesn't bring your whole operation down.  I guess running out of
space is bad no matter how you slice it.  Maybe having a single / partition
isn't such a bad idea in the day and age of huge disks?

Brian O'Connor wrote:

> Hello,
>       I admin a medium size network of SGI machines, as well as
> a couple of DEC and SUN servers and an increasing number of
> FreeBSD and Linux boxes. All my training, and most of my experience
> has been with either IRIX or Digital(or should that be Compaq) Unix.
>
> One of the many differences(advantages?) between IRIX and other Unixes?
> is that by default the IRIX install creates a single root partition,
> ie no seperate /var or /usr partitions. Three or four times now I have
> had problems with the DEC,SUN and FreeBSD servers in that the /var
> partition fills up, and/or the root partition is too small(esp with DEC
> OS upgrades, the new V4.x needs a bigger / partion).
>
> I feel ridiculous hunting for free disk on a 64MB / partion of a 36GB
> raid array on the DEC 2100.
>
> I have just setup a new freeBSD(2.2.6)server(1.5GB disk), and this time
> configured it with a single root partion. The install process warned me
> about this, asking me if I was sure that I new what I was doing.
>
> I think I'm sure.
>
> Are there technical reasons for the seperate partions beyond the classic
> need for a nfs mounted /usr(not applicable here).
>
> boc
> --
>
>                    Brian O'Connor, Unix Systems Consultant
>       La Trobe University,Bendigo,Australia; b.oconnor@latrobe.edu.au
>            http://ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au/~boc/resume.html

                                   Peter Schwenk
                               schwenk@voicenet.com
 FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD - FreeBSD
                              Visit www.FreeBSD.ORG !