Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2012 08:33:14 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wifi drivers support for "n" standard

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:11:42 +0200
Matthias Apitz articulated:

> I have USB UMTS dongle and sticks which work fine with FreeBSD.
>
> The OP, as he says, has an USB wifi stick which works fine too with
> FreeBSD and only wanted (for whatever "important" reason) a new "n"
> one.

Speed and transmitting distance would be two factors that come readily
to mind. I love the fact that I can take my laptop out to my hammock
which is situated near the back of my lawn and still be able to send a
document to my printer without having to relocate or set up repeaters.
Or, for that matter, stream a movie to watch.

> He bought it without checking the man pages before, not even after
> having problems he checked the man pages by his own to see if the
> chip is supported or not.

The problem is that he actually HAS to check to see if the device is
supported.

> I someone, including me, wants to have better or more recent drivers,
> he should help in development or testing.

Either use an OS that fully supports the device, or find a suitable
work around, such as the one I described, to circumvent the OS's short
comings. I have suggested before and offered to contribute to a fund to
be used to hire competent coders to write fully compatible drivers for
devices used on FreeBSD. As usual, as soon as I mentioned monetary
contributions from prospective users the idea was met with total
disdain. Interestingly enough, it would appear that other OSs are doing
it with positive results.

--
Jerry ♔