Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:52:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, James Wyatt wrote:

> btw: One of our customers uses a 500MB /var/spool/mail filesystem. We had
> user send a 44MB MIME message that that filled a disk at another company.
> That sendmail sent us bounce messages saying 'disk full, burp' and sending
> 26MB of it back to us ... and their postmaster ... every 30 min!  We ran
> short on space on the MX box when the Lotus Message Snitch(tm) downstream
> choked on the quantity. Nothing went down but webmaster and postmaster
> mail.

In your .mc file:
define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `10000000')dnl

For 10MB limit. No one complains about this and it prevents most of
the problems.

Jeffrey A. Lynch, President		      JORSM Internet
email: jeff@jorsm.com		Northwest Indiana's Full-Service Provider
Voice: (219)322-2180		   927 Sheffield Avenue, Dyer, IN 46311
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com		   http://www.jorsm.com