Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:06:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Should DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS messages be reported as bugs?

Yuri wrote:
> On 12/20/2015 21:45, Yuri wrote:
> >
> > it prints some messages that look like errors, see below.
>
> I have recently began mounting /usr/ports as nullfs and unionfs on top
> of it, and I believe this causes the system crashes during the intense
> file activity on the unionfs-ed /usr/ports.
> /usr/ports.patches on /usr/ports (nullfs, local, read-only)
> <above>:/usr/ports.subversion on /usr/ports (unionfs, local, noatime)

Unionfs is broken. See the BUGS section of "man mount_unionfs".
Here a snippet from it:
     THIS FILE SYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
     AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
     RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.  BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.

As such, reports for problems that you encounter when not using unionfs are
far more useful, imho.

rick