Date:      01 May 2002 20:09:34 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pgp5 config help?

Hello,
     I've just gotten pgp5 from ports.

I ran pgp5 -h to see if there would be any pointers as to how to
configure it, but got the following instead:

 $ pgp5 -h
Creating /home/<user>/.pgp...complete.
No randseed file found.
Cannot open configuration file /home/<user>/.pgp/pgp.cfg
PGP is now invoked from different executables for different operations:

pgpe    Encrypt (including Encrypt/Sign)
pgps    Sign
pgpv    Verify/Decrypt
pgpk    Key management
pgpo    PGP 2.6.2 command-line simulator (not yet implemented)

See each application's respective man page or the general PGP
documentation
for more information.
$

I then ran it again and then got:
$ pgp5 -h
Cannot open configuration file /home/<user>/.pgp/pgp.cfg
PGP is now invoked from different executables for different operations:

pgpe    Encrypt (including Encrypt/Sign)
pgps    Sign
pgpv    Verify/Decrypt
pgpk    Key management
pgpo    PGP 2.6.2 command-line simulator (not yet implemented)

See each application's respective man page or the general PGP
documentation
for more information.
$
Where's the pgp.cfg gone? And given note above about not yet
implementing the simulator, what should I make of this?

Is there a problem here? I know that I'll need to generate my
private/public keys, but I'm weary about proceeding with what looks like
a less than happy pgp installation.

uname info:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD <snip> 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Sun Apr 28 12:24:07 BST
2002 <snip>:/usr/src/sys/compile/IRON  i386
$

Any help for a weary user would be appreciated.

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer