Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:53:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: systat(1) bugs

On 2002-Jan-21 01:04:58 +0100, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>The namei Dir-cache % display is wrong, since it calculates the
>percentage based on the total number of requests, not based on
>the number of Name-cache misses. (I.e. with 1000 calls to namei,
>950 of them name-cache hits, 30 dir-cache hits, the percentage
>will be calculated as 3% (30/1000), while it actually should come
>out as 60% (30/(1000-950)) ...)

I'm not sure this is as clear-cut.  I believe the current behaviour is
more correct: To use your numbers, of the 1000 namei() calls, 95% were
found in the name-cache and 3% were found in the dir-cache, with the
remaining 2% requiring physical reads.  This is consistent with my
reading on systat(1).  I don't see that defining dir-cache as "percent
of namei() requests not found in the system wide name translation
cache but handled by the per process name translation cache" is an
improvement.

Peter