Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:43:48 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>, R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Doesn't XFree86 Upgrade Properly

I had the problem of port building crashing my new system...Bad
memory.

Big compiles eat memory at an alarming rate and page a lot. My crashes
were all various page errors which I diagnosed most likely to be RAM or
power supply. Pulled one DIM and the problem went away.

I have since replaced the DIM and am back to my full 96 MB and have
not crashed since.

I'm pretty sure that something on your system is a bit flaky.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)