Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:40:42 +0200
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual-Athlon vs Dual-PIII ... opinions?

Hello,

Considering the latest accomplishments of AMD and the price cuts which should
happen after the week-end, AMD definitely looks like an interesting proposition.

As I have not seen one AMD-compatible chipset capable of using more that one CPU,
except perhaps the future "760" chipset from AMD itself (I certainly would like to
get one such motherboard to replace my BP6, if the price is right)

Is there also some work being done for SMP Alpha machines ?

     TfH

PS : there was one "OpenAPIC" specification which should have made it possible
to build K6-based SMP boards, but none were designed

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> on 10/08/2000 03:46:10