Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:58:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        MARK JONES <mjones@london.skyscape.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: passwd

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, MARK JONES wrote:

> I am migrating from BSDI 2.01 to freebsd and wondered if there was an
> easy way to transfer the passwdord file.

Enable DES on the FreeBSD box and just copy /etc/master.passwd
/etc/passwd /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db from BSDI to the FreeBSD
box PROVIDED you don't have any usernames >8 characters on BSDI.

If you do you'll have to recompile FreeBSD to take the longer
usernames.  In /usr/src/include/utmp.h change #define UT_NAMESIZE
from 8 to 16 and in /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h change #define
MAXLOGNAME to be >= 16.  I've been using 20 there.

make world, build a kernel, and reboot.

Been there, done that, so painless it doesn't even deserve a
T-shirt.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null