Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:18:46 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disabling IPv6 *without* recompiling the kernel

> I've run into the same problems with Mozilla that many other people have
> reported.

(...snip)

Thanks for the careful check and suggestions.  I think we should take
them seriously.  But before that, please let me check something:

> Even though I'm on an IPv4 only network, I'm seeing DNS
> lookups for AAAA records, many of which are timing out due to problems

Does the DNS servers have A records for the same name?  If so, it
should not take a long time out to resolve the corresponding AAAA
records.  The authoritative server should just return a response with
the empty answer section.  Or, are you talking about an unreachable
server that even cannot return the A records, and the AAAA query
doubles the total delay?

Some DNS servers behave very badly; they responds to AAAA queries with
the NXDOMAIN code, and, as a result, suppress further queries even
when they have an A record.  We should fix such servers, but, IMHO,
we do not have to change the resolver side behavior just due to this.

> I'm also seeing long pauses when
> Mozilla attempts to connect to various web sites which I suspect are
> caused by Mozilla's attempts to connect to unreachable IPv6 addresses.

Regarding this issue, what do you mean by "an IPv4 only network"?
More specifically,

- do you have any non-link-local IPv6 addresses?
- do you have an IPv6 default router?

If the answer is "no" for both, then the connection attempts to the
IPv6 destinations should immediately fail with EHOSTUNREACH and the
delay should not matter in usual operation.

So, basically even if you have some link-local IPv6 addresses and the
IPv6 loopback address, neither of the AAAA queries nor the connection
attempts to IPv6 destinations should matter.  If you saw exceptions,
I'd like to know more details.

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.