Date:      05 Nov 1999 10:17:04 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Ryan Troy" <rtroy@springsips.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Radius Check usage scripts

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:31:59 -0700, "Ryan Troy" <rtroy@springsips.com> said:

Ryan> Does anyone know of a script that will parse the detail file so
Ryan> users can check there time online?

I wrote one a while back for something like this -- end-of-month
accounting. It's perl:

	http://www.shenton.org/~chris/nasa-hq/dialup/radius/

I originally wrote for a Livingston dialup, then modified to handle
Ascend detail files. You may have to hack it for your format.  There
are some other tools there, like a web-based user account maintainer.
I haven't worked on it in over a year so I'm not prepared to provide
much in the way of help.

The problem is that parsing a detail file for any reasonably sized
population takes too long, especially if you do it on the fly. I've
been playing with parsing daily-rotated detail file and jamming the
results into a MySQL database. This makes ad hoc queries fast and
flexible; very cool.

The Cistron RADIUS folks have patches to send detail records directly
to an SQL database but I haven't gone that route yet. I probably will
when its successor (FreeRADIUS) becomes stable.