Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:24:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Scott <gscott@guy.asimware.com>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@chat.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motherborad/Memory/CPU for web hosting system

> What I am thinking about right now is : Asus P2B-LS motherboard,
> Pentium III above 500, 512MB ram, 1 SCSI 10GB, 1 SCSI 30GB,
> 1 UDMA IDE AS BIG AS IT CAN BE for backup. The main problem
> is the motherboard. I just don't see any alternative and that;s bad. I'd
> like
> to have a choice. It seems like the newer i820 bases motherboards from Asus
> have SCSI contrller Ultra160 which is not supported by 3.4 ( i'd rather no
> go with 4.0). But on the other hand BX is kind old now.
>
> If you have some experience with hosting a lot of web servers, please, share
> the hardware config with me.

We just recently put together a machine with the following:

SuperMicro P6DGU Dual Slot1 440BX Board with AIC-7890 SCSI
PentiumIII 600
512M of ECC RAM
DPT RAID Card
3 x 9.1G AtlasV SCA Drives
Seagate 12G DAT Drive
Intel Pro Server Ethernet Card
Elan Vital S30 Rackmount case with HotSwap Kit

It's a very nice box that will be doing mostly transactions. Because of
the RAID card I can only run FreeBSD 3.2 on it, but it's pretty sweet.

The only other problem is the Coppermine processors will not work in Dual
mode at this time.. regardless of the Slocket adapter you try.

BX may be kind of old now, but it works and there is lots of support for
it in the OS.

You could also look at Tyan motherboards. I've used them in a number of
different systems for different things. They make good stuff.

If you are looking for a fault tollerant solution, go with the RAID
setup.. it can really save your ass when it comes to downtime.

** Greg Scott,               **  Asimware Innovations Inc.  **
** Website Co-Ordinator      ** 600 Upper Wellington Unit D **
** Network Administrator     **  Hamilton, Ontario Canada   **
** gscott@asimware.com       **           L9A 3P9           **