Date:      Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:24:33 +0900
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jim Janovich <jimjano@ptd.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 5.4 seg fault with any passwd command

On Sep 2, 2005, at 11:14 AM, Jim Janovich wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Earlier I did the following:
>
> Make buildworld
> Make buildkernel
> Make installkernel
>
> Then I rebooted.  After the reboot same issues.  Is there something
> more I
> should do?  I really appreciate any help.
>
> Jim

Some things to consider:
     -Have you tried just rebuilding PAM?
     -When did this issue start occurring and what was updated around
that date?
     -Also, have you built the relative packages (I believe the base
package) with debug functionality so that it would dump the
information to the screen.
     -Finally, if you don't mind, would you please list some of the
commands you use (devoid the password entry) with the chXX command,
along with some further information about the account that you are
trying to change the password for, and under what environment you are
trying to do it from (straight shell, su'ed shell, sudo'ed shell)?
-Garrett