Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:11:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      gktepsta@broadpark.no
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions and errors

Good evening,

First I'd like to point out, that on my machine (Pentium 120, 40 MB RAM)
absolutely nothing from the ports collection will install/compile. The GNOME 1.4
makefile downloads Python 2.1 and attempts to configure it. That's the only
thing it does, configures Python, over and over again. It ends with 'config.h is
unchanged', then it starts over again. Beleive me, I tried for over 8 hours.
XFree86-4.0.3_3 wouldn't install. The building went just fine, though it errored
out what I assume was close to the end of the make install, was some problems
with this file. Even BASH won't compile.

Can it have something to do with how I partitioned my HD when I installed
FreeBSD? I chose the automatic function, where / is 100MB, swap is 84, /var is
20 MB and /usr is 1,7 GB. That's the only thing I can think of.

And now, the suggestion; it's obvious that you guyes have done it. Made it
extremely easy (at least it seems that way) for people to install certified
software. Though, what happens when a newer version of that software comes? I
think you should add this tracking system to either a totally new interactive
port-install & management system, or to one that keeps tracks of newer versions
through a source you set up, or freshports.org, from the info pkg_info gives it.

Well, I guess that's it.

Thanks.