Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:17:27 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        Tony Wells <tony@camel.kdsi.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: My first port install - need help already :(

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:11:04AM +0200, S=F8ren Neigaard wrote:
> TW> To install the compat3x libraries, you can use the sysinstall utility.
> TW> As root type:
> Ok it worked :) But isn't that a strange package? Binary compatibility
> with 3.x - Why doesn't 4.x automatically support 3.x binaries?

It does support 3.x binaries but you also need all the libraries that
the binaries were (dynamically) linked to. (Statically linked binaries
does not need any extra packages.)
Since some of these libraries have been changed since 3.x in a
non-compatible manner one might need an older version of some
libraries. The reason why these are not installed by default is to
avoid wasting disk space for people who don't need them.

>=20
> TW> Lykke til!
> Close, but I'm Danish :) Lykke til are Swedish (held og lykke - is the
> Danish version).

Nah, 'Lycke til' is not Swedish either. Norwegian maybe.  In Swedish it
would have been 'Lycka till'.

--=20
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson