Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:03:22 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Andrea Campi <andrea+freebsd_hackers@webcom.it>
Subject:   Re: ZFS

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:43:38PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 05:26:39PM +0200, Andrea Campi wrote..
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:59:36AM -0500, Sam wrote:
> > > Call me crazy, but does anyone else see this as hooey?  2^64 512B
> > > sectors is 8192 zettabytes (zetta, exa, peta, tera, ...).
> > [...]
> > > Crappy marketing articles.
> >=20
> > This one's good though. fortune(6) worthy, I mean:
> >=20
> > Populating 128-bit file systems would exceed the quantum limits of
> > earth-based storage. You couldn't fill a 128-bit storage pool without
> > boiling the oceans.
>=20
> Hmmmm... that explains the global warming then...

I once calculated that there were sufficient IPv6 addresses (another
128 bit quantity) to provide a distinct address for every cluster of
about 10^12 atoms within planet Earth.  10^12 atoms sounds like quite
a lot, but it is much smaller than a typical bacterium and a hell of a
lot smaller than any transistor ever manufactured: even if you
converted the entire planet into a data storage system, you wouldn't
have enough matter to build a filesystem that big, let alone power
supplies, cabling, support structures etc.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way