Date:      Thu, 2 Feb 2012 03:24:44 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Shelm <kykypyky2@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hast Unable to listen on address

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 02:40:06AM -0800, Shelm wrote:
> why the same value on two servers kern.hostuuid

Please read the code in /etc/rc.d/hostid to understand.  You will also
need to look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf to know what $hostid_file is.

kern.hostuuid and kern.hostid are generated on-the-fly when the system
does not have /etc/hostid.

You can reset this simply by removing the file and rebooting, or by
running "/etc/rc.d/hostid reset".  I do not believe a reboot will be
needed after doing the latter, but you will almost certainly have to
restart daemons.

If you read the above script it should (mostly) make sense.

Likely root cause:

When you made these two systems, you probably mistakingly copied
/etc/hostid from one to the other (or you copied /etc from one to the
other).  Administrator error.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking                     http://www.parodius.com/ |