Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 2015 15:35:57 -0600
From:      Todd Russell <trussell@sjasc.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Willing to do what I can to help with a decent fs for removable media...

The state of filesystem options for removable media that need to be used
cross-platform is really making me crazy... to the point I have decided to
do something about it. I haven't coded C in 20 years, so I have no
illusions of getting into the code, but I am willing to test and I have
access to all platforms since we use everything here on our campus.

exFAT and FAT32 have to go. I recently wasted part of my day pulling files
out of a backup due to disappearing files from an exFAT SD card. We need
something with journaling... but not NTFS. Everyone wants to just call this
solved with FUSE + NTFS, but there are a lot of reasons this is a bad
solution.

If anyone is willing to either work on UFS2 drivers for the other OSes, or
get into doing further work on the ext3/4 or XFS drivers in FreeBSD, I will
make time to help test and do whatever I can to make it happen.

The lack of a good fs for removable media to use between FreeBSD and Linux
is what has kept me from switching over from Linux. The people in the
FreeBSD community have more to gain by tackling this issue, so I am willing
to throw my hat in the BSD ring if there is anyone out there willing to go
for it.

Peace,
Todd Russell
Director of IT and Webmaster