Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 01:31:38 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <stephen_roome@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp and modems

Hello folks, thought of two things recently, and I thought I'd
throw them into this nice open forum...

1) Might be worth changing the default /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to have an
ATW2 in it, might work for a lot of people and it would save those
folks who say... why does my modem connect at 115200 =) (try ATW2)

2) I'm upgrading to a cable modem this week, and I'll no longer need
to use ppp. Thankfully this means I may never have to configure a
modem again. Thank God.

However, looking at my ppp config file; which I was about to throw
away, I've realised that I spent an exceedingly long time getting
everything just perfect (for me).

I've had a sucession of rockwell modems, and the configs are all (mostly)
rockwell specific.

If ATI1 .. ATI6 shows rockwell then this might be of help to you.

Alternatively it might be a confusing pile of horse manure.

Obviously it all depends on what make of modem you have, but for a
newish Rockwell, it might work, after messing with it for some time, I
eventually got my modem to connect a bit more reliably than before,
and usually at a higher speed. YMMV as they say. (Besides my phone
wiring is junk, so perhaps you'll get better than my meagre 48k
average connects - at least you can tune what you want to your modem
to drop or accept.)

Anyway, please don't flame me if this isn't useful for you. I reckon
it probably is, to someone! But not sure who, so it's gone to
-chat. (which I'm not subscribed to because I don't have the
bandwidth... until, assuming my telco get it right, Thursday!)

Good luck, and sorry if this is just spam,

	Steve Roome

P.S. Let me know if you found this useful, or if you have any
questions, e.g. why post this crap here ? =) Perhaps someone is
working on writing a "how-to" modem config guide somewhere, that is a
little more up to date than all the 28.8 stuff I found when
researching this..

Currently my modem is a Rockwell 560DTV.  (you can download the
manuals for these and other rockwell chipsets from their website, but
they are such a pain to read, I know, this is the third modem I've
done this for!)

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 allow users steve
 # I like to be able to use ppp myself, without root access
 set device /dev/cuaa0
 # Because, that's where the modem is.
 set speed 115200
 # Faster than the modem speed, importantly it needs to be
 set redial 0
 # don't give up, just keep dialling.
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
	OK-AT-OK AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1 OK \
	ATS7=60S30=0L3M1+ES=3,2,4;+DS=3; OK ATW2+IFC=2,2;BX4 OK \
	\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 30 CONNECT"
 #Modems are real easy to configure, we'll come onto this later.

 # Some of that got ripped out of the windows .inf I had, which is a
 # "good" or do I mean very bad (!) way to find a useable modem init
 # string. So it's not all documented further down. Although some is.

 set server /var/tmp/ppp.sock "" 0117
 # allow pppctl, but only through a local socket accessible by
 # user and group (in this case root/wheel only, i.e. all the users
 # I allow to su to root. Also, I don't like the pppctl through a tcp
 # port, because I'm paranoid.)

### What the init strings mean...
### 1) the two commands AT&F and ATE0 can be combined AT&FE0
###    or at above. AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2
### which means :
	# &F - restore factory defaults
	# &E0 - echo stuff back to user
	# V1  - oh, I've forgotten that one. it's an obvious one too. ?!
	# S0=0 - set register 0 to 0 (read modem specific docs!)
	#	(could be nasty, well, could be...)
	# &C1 - RLSD follows state of carrier
	# &D2 -
	 #&D2
	 #    DTR drop is interpreted according to the current &Q setting as follows:
	 #    &Q0 through &Q6
	 #        DTR drop causes the modem to hang up. Auto-answer is inhibited.
	 # From trying to get an old ISA modem to understand that it had hungup.
	#+??=?; - Modem specific initializers, which I didn't document! =(

# Other stuff.
# AT%U1 puts some dual (v90/k56) modems into K56 mode. (some it just crashes)

#atf0 = set highest possible connect speed

#atm1l3 = speaker on and LOUD during connect but off otherwise

###*** USEFUL ***###
#wN - where N= reports what on connect
	# 0 report DTE speed
	# 1 report DTE speed, error correction protocol
	# 2 DCE speed

# N.B. You probably want your modem to report the DCE Speed. Trust me
# here.  I'm fed up of people who get 115200kbs through their modem
# hmmm. sure they do.

#Y0 = disable long space disconnect (should be default!)
# This is really useful, it crashes the modems I've had, particularly
# the broken ISA one which never disconnected properly.. With this, it
# doesn't connect properly either, but it may work for you.

#&C1 =
# Er, What ?

#&F = restore factory settings!
# Very handy.

#&KN = where N :
	# 0 - no flow control
	# 3 - rts/cts
	# 4 - xon/xoff
# You probably want rts/cts, but ppp will sort that for you with set rtscts
# apparently.

#*H0 = negotiate link at highest supported speed
# This is supposed to work, but it didn't improve my modem.

#&NC16 = set modem up for United Kingdom
# The country codes are :
#                          Country                 Code (n)
#                          Australia                  40
#                          Austria                     1
#                          Belgium                     2
#                          Bulgaria                   27
#                          Canada                     20
#                          China                      41
#                          Czech Republic             19
#                          Denmark                     3
#                          Finland                     4
#                          France                      5
#                          Germany                     6
#                          Greece                     17
#                          Hong Kong                  42
#                          Hungary                    23
#                          India                      30
#                          Ireland                     7
#                          Israel                     18
#                          Italy                       8
#                          Japan                      43
#                          Korea                      44
#                          Luxembourg                  9
#                          Mexico                     21
#                          Netherlands                10
#                          New Zealand                48
#                          Norway                     11
#                          Philippines                43
#                          Poland                     24
#                          Portugal                   12
#                          Russia                     25
#                          Singapore                  47
#                          Slovac Republic            26
#                          Spain                      13
#                          Sweden                     14
#                          Switzerland                15
#                          Taiwan                     46
#                          United Kingdom             16
#                          United States              22

#\S = report active configuration
# Erm, might be useful, I can't remember what my modem had to say about
# that.

#S11=x = x<-50-255 milliseconds and is time for each dtmf dial pulse
# I've found my telco will accept 50ms pulses okay, which shaves a
# bit of time off the connect time..

#s95=x - x is bitfield representing :

#        Bit 0           CONNECT result code indicates DCE speed
#                        instead of DTE speed.

## (See also W2, somewhere above.)

#        Bit 1           Append/ARQ to CONNECT XXXX result code in
#                        error-correction mode (XXXX = rate; see Table 3-1).
#        Bit 2           Enable CARRIER XXXX result code (XXXX = rate;
#                        see Table 3-1).
#        Bit 3           Enable PROTOCOL XXXX result code (XXXX = protocol
#                        identifier; see Table 3-1).
#        Bit 4           Reserved.
#        Bit 5           Enable COMPRESSION result code (XXXX = compression
#                        type; see Table 3-1).
#        Bit 6           Reserved.
#        Bit 7           Reserved.

# so 45 is  bits : 0,2,3,5 (try 47 to get bit 1 as well for ARQ)

What ppp.log has in it..
Chat: Send: AT^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: OK^M
Chat: Send: AT&FE0V1S0=0&C1&D2+MR=2;+DR=1;+ER=1^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: OK^M
Chat: Send: ATS7=60S30=0L3M1+ES=3,2,4;+DS=3;^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: OK^M
Chat: Send: AT+IFC=2,2;BX4^M
Chat: Expect(5): OK
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: OK^M
Chat: Send: ATDT08440416662^M
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: status
Chat: Expect(30): CONNECT
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: ls
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: ls -l
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: ?
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: show
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: show ?
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: show status
Command: /var/tmp/ppp.sock: show bundle
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: +MCR: V90^M
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: +MRR: 46667^M
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: +ER: LAPM^M
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: +DR: V42B^M
Chat: Received: ^M
Chat: Received: CONNECT 46667^M

### N.B. without W2, it will say CONNECT 115200.

here's some other dial strings I've had, with one of the four modems I
use at home..

## This is all extra information, init strings etc..
#	OK-AT-OK AT&FE1&C1&D2S95=47S11=50S0=0&K3+MS=12,1,38000,42000 OK \

# set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
#	OK-AT-OK AT&F&NC16E1M1L3&C1&D2S95=45S11=50S0=0W2+MS=12,1 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 30 CONNECT"

# set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 10 \"\" AT \
#	OK-AT-OK AT&FE0V1&C1&D2S95=45 OK ATS0=0 OK AT\\\\N3%C3&K3X4 OK \
#	AT+MS=12,1,38000,50000 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 30 CONNECT"

# set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
#	OK-AT-OK at&fw1v1 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 30 CONNECT"