Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 17:30:28 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco), Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, core@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

At 04:01 PM 2/5/97 +0100, Guido van Rooij wrote:
>Joe Greco wrote:
[on binary patching of 2.1.6 binaries]
>> With this, it would be MUCH simpler to release a "security binary kit"
>> upgrade to 2.1.X series systems.
>
>Before everyone starts singing `Halleluia', let me state first that
>this does not solve everything. At runs a setlocale() itsself,

I was unable to find a call to any locale-function in 2.1.6 "at".
However, can anybody can say crontab?  I knew you could.
Other programs that might want a patch are csh, expr, diff, tr and cc - all
of them might be run as root from a script and get passed locale.

>so it is still vulnerable. Further, It will not solve the problem for ppl
>that actually NEED the locale stuff....

Who needs locales?  Is there _anybody_ that use them?  I don't know of
anybody that use them on UNIX, and nobody that would say they need them on
any platform.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/