Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2020 10:27:39 -0800
From:      Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Slow performance with one of two power supplies powered

I have two Supermicro X9SRi-F systems that are nearly identical. Both
have dual power supplies fed from building and generator power. One is
acting normally but the other does not have building power due to
electrical work this weekend and has really poor performance. For
example running wc on a 2.5M line file takes 2 seconds on the good
system and 40 on the bad.

Last time I ran into this I found the system was underclocking and
"sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq" would report a lower than expected value. I
solved this by running powerd with this config:

     powerd_enable="YES"
     powerd_flags="-a max -b max -n max"

In this case dev.cpu.0.freq is reported as 2201 for both systems which
seems correct for the 2.20GHz Intel E5-2660 processors in use. Running
powerd does not change the reported frequency nor does it improve
performance.

I have another pair of X9SRi-F systems with the same power situation.
They have 3.00GHz E5-2637 and the one running on one of two power
supplies was reporting dev.cpu.0.freq as 1200 before running powerd and
3001 after. The single powered system also has  lower performance, the
wc test takes 14 seconds, the fully powered system takes < 0.5.

How do I solve this? dmidecode reports the power supplies as PWS-406P-1R
which is rated for 400W so I think they are beefy enough to run a single
E5-2660, memory, and a couple of SSDs.

		Craig