Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2012 11:28:46 +0100
From:      Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dreamplug: setting ethernet address by hand, getting pkgng to work, wireless?

On 14 nov. 2012, at 16:21, Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org> =
wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 11:56 +0100, Johan Henselmans wrote:
>> I still do not get the hardware ethernet addresses from the machine
>> (it still reports 00:00:00:00:00:00), so I decided to set them
>> manually in /etc/start_if.mge0:
>>=20
>> dramplug-bsd:~ # cat /etc/start_if.mge0
>> ifconfig mge0  ether f0:ad:4e:01:44:46=20
>=20
> I didn't have any trouble with this, both my interfaces got good
> addresses automatically.  Looking at the mge driver code, it wants to
> use the local-mac-address property from the .dts file as long as it's
> not all zeroes.  If it is all zeroes, it uses the value already
> programmed into the hardware.
>=20
> In my case, I would always let uBoot set up both interfaces and then
> boot the unit via TFTP, so maybe I was getting good mac addresses
> because uBoot set them up and the mge driver just used those values.
>=20
> -- Ian
>=20
>=20

Found the culprit: replacing the uboot firmware with the latest version =
caused the uboot environment variables for the ethernet hardware to =
disappear,=20

by setting ethaddr and eth1addr in the uboot environment, that got =
solved.=20
Example:

Marvell>> setenv ethaddr f0:ad:4e:01:xx:xx
Marvell>> setenv eth1addr f0:ad:4e:01:xx:xx
Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> reset

Johan Henselmans
johan@netsense.nl