Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 05:46:36 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >} > added `noatime' to two of my heavily used softupdates slices in
> > >}
> > >} noatime with SU is a known Bad Thing[tm].
> > >
> > >I hadn't heard this.  I don't know why that would be true.
> >
> > It is superstition.  Perhaps stamping atimes hides some bugs in
> > softupdates by causing more frequent updates or changing the timing
> > of the updates.
>
> Doing "noatime" results in the loss of an inode write order
> dependency.

So?  what's being written while you're reading a file?

If you're reading and writing the file together, then the modtime stamps
will cause the inode to be written out.  If you're just reading, there is
no metadata dependency at all because nothing is changed at all.

Had anybody got problems with softupdates that can be specifically
attributed to the use of -noatime ?

Cheers,
-Peter