Date:      Fri, 05 Nov 1999 07:28:58 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jesper Krogh <jkrogh@cs.auc.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with fxp0 driver

>I am currently trying to install 6 IBM "Personal Computer 750" machines
>(running FreeBSD 2.2.8) each equipped with an Intel Etherexpress NIC.
>However when I check the network configuration on each host they all
>have the same MAC address. I have tried to put one of the NICs in
>another PC (a clone machine) and it writes the same address as in the
>other 6 cases.
>Then I tried to use the "Diagnostic tool" for the NIC and it prompts
>different MAC addresses for each NIC (the one reported by FreeBSD is not
>one of them). When I try to perform an "arp -n <hostname>" I get the
>error "no entry".
>
>Can You please help me?

   Hello, Jesper. This problem has been reported by a couple of other people
as well. It appears that certain newer Pro/100+ boards have a different layout
in the SEEPROM (or just different model SEEPROMs), and thus get the wrong
information. Do you also see a "Unsupported PHY" message come out during the
device probe for fxp0?
   It might help if you could tell me about the specifics of the Pro/100+
cards - like the exact model/revision information off of the box it came in.
I haven't yet seen any of the 'broken' boards yet myself and attempts to
get information from Intel about this have dismally failed.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.