Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 04:41:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
Cc:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who should/could send mail to this list ...

On 2002-05-06 07:07, GB Clark wrote:
> On Mon, 06 May 2002 11:07:13 +0200
> Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de> wrote:
> > I've seen last how php.net handles that. Anyone who sends a message
> > first must authenticate it's request be responding an auth-request
> > from the list-server. This is a similar auth-req. like I got it
> > from majordomo@freebsd.org, but it's required without need to be
> > subscribed ...
> >
> > I think this could be a good way to avoid spam.
>
> As far as spam on the lists, maybe it is just me, but I only see
> maybe 3 or 4 per 1000 messages.  I live with that.

One of the newsgroups I like browsing when I want to spend a few hours
relaxing with non-computer related things, uses the scheme described
by Jens.  Any time a poster wants to send something to the group, and
the group moderation bot finds out that this posting comes from a new
mail address, the author is asked to respond with a "magic word".
That word has to be in a reply to the original auth request.  After
all this is done, all posts are passed through.

I am not advocating that we start using Jens' idea of a closed group.
I am not in favour of closed groups either.  I am only stating the
fact that this scheme works for some other place.

- Giorgos