Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:46:55 -0600
From:      "Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing up via rdump using ssh

  Sorry about the late reply -- cleaning out my mailbox!

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 12:13:28PM -0800, Doug White wrote:

> Actually, we have a script hacked up to do this without replacing rsh.
> for i in / /var /usr /usr1; do
> 	dump 0uBbf 2000000 $blksize - $i | ssh tapeserver "team 50k 16
> >/dev/nrst0"

  FYI, under NetBSD, one can set the environment variable
RCMD_CMD to "ssh", and then mt/dump/rmt (which all use rcmd)
will use ssh rather than rsh.  Maybe someone could pull these
changes into FreeBSD?  So, the following works for me under NetBSD:
(backuphost has rshd/rcmd/rexecd/rlogind disabled)

setenv RCMD_CMD ssh
setenv TAPE backuphost:/dev/nrst0
(backuphost also needs to be in your .knownhosts file etc.)
mt status
dump <dump options> <filesystem>
mt status
mt offl

  I think this makes dump's job easier, as rmt passes status
and error messages etc. back and forth, right?

  Brian (looking forward to a time when the *BSD userland is more
unified than it is now...)