Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 10:26:44 +0200
From:      Alessandro de Manzano <ale@unixmania.net>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no keyboard

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 06:08:05PM -0600, Doug Russell wrote:

> re-enable a PS/2 mouse after inadvertantly disconnecting it.  I hate to
> reboot server machines that have been up for hundreds of days because I
> can't use the KB or mouse.  (Not that I often use a KB or mouse on any
> server machines... but it has happened more than once.)

I'm in the same situation for my rack servers, and I solved using an USB
keyboard :-)
Enabling USB support in the kernel and in the BIOS of the machine is
just what I need.

When inserted you have only to do something like

kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/console

operating from a ssh/telnet/etc. session and voila, USB kbd is
activated :-)

When remove you do the same with /dev/kbd0.

Probably if you disable the atkbd in the kernel you don't ever need such
kbdcontrol magic.

--

bye!

Ale