Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:26:53 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        locus <own3d@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld panics

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 10:52:25AM +0200, locus wrote:
> Hi,
> i trying to update my system from 4.0R to 4.1S (RELENG_4). Everything
> works
> fine with 'make buildworld', 'make buildkernel', 'make installkernel'.
> After
> that i reboot into single usermode (with boot  -s). But then when i try
> do 'make installworld' i get an error:
>
> mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
> mtree: line 31: unknown group games
> *** Error code 1

That's not a panic...

> i had this error before, when i tried to update my system with NOGAMES
> in my
> make.conf. But i deleted this line and rebuild everything, but still the
> same...
>
> anyone can help me out with this? (please, im getting desperate :). I
> compiled the system 6 times now :))

Check /etc/group for a games group. It should be there ( games:*:13: on
my 4.1 system).
Maybe you deleted it by accident? Be sure to run 'mergemaster' as part
of the upgrading process, this will compare all files in /etc, show you
the differences and let you choose what to do (install new/delete new or
merge old and new for each file).

Karel.