Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:38:35 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "Steven T. Schowiak" <schow@dhc.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install OK, cannot mount root - UGH!

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 08:17:30AM -0500, Steven T. Schowiak wrote:
> I think my FreeBSD installation went well.  I installed it to a bootable
> 600M partition on my third hard drive and instruct the mother board to boot
> from this drive instead of C:.  The other 625M is a DOS partiton accessable
> by Windows 98. The entire drive is still FAT16. Boot Easy comes up and I
> choose BSD.  It goes through the gyrations and them wants to re-boot itself.

Temporarily move this disk as your first disk (master on primary controller).
If you'll be able to boot from it [ 0:wd(0,a)kernel ], go to /dev directory
and check that wd2* entries exist here.

Then move this disk back to the original position, and use `B:wd(U,a)kernel'
B = BIOS drive number (0,1,2,...).
U = unit number.

For example, if you have three IDE drives (two attached to primary controller
and third attached as master to secondary IDE), and you want to boot from
the 3rd drive, you should specify 2:wd(2,a).

Is this your case, Steven?

If you have two IDE drives (first attached as master to primary, and second
attached to secondary), and you want to boot from second, you specify
1:wd(2,a).

> A search through the archives says that I should use '1:wd(2,a)/kernel' .
> I try this and it returns 'bad disklabel' and 'can't find wd(2,a)/kernal'.
> I've been screwing around with this for several weeks now and I'm getting
> ready to give up.
>
> BTW during the installation, I removed all the conflicting devices (they
> were all devices I didn't have anyway) accept for the mouse and system
> console.  Figured I needed those. After the fdisk partioning the disk was
> named 'wd2' and the partition was named 'wd2s1'.
>
> I was also wondering if the book from Walnut Creek would be of help.
>
> Waddya think?
>
> Thanks.

HTH and
Regards,