Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <johanndirty@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help! /23 net (mask 255.255.254.0) beating me up!

Hi,

First of all, kudos to the FreeBSD team for a job well
done. I've been BSD'ing for 4 years now, mostly in a
commercial/production setting and I have no
complaints.

Please, somebody flame me and say - "hey stupid, all
you have to do is...  ...what are you thinking?".

s/\.\.\./really_good_advice/g

I know this has got to be something silly, but I can't
find anything in the docs or archives. I'm setting up
a box (I actually tried two, a 4.1-stable and a
4.1.1-Release) on a network using a netmask of
255.255.254.0. I know I have the gateway and netmask
set up correctly - at least what would be correct for
a Solaris box. Solaris and Win2000 worked without a
hitch with no special configuration. I have tried two
different boxes and two network cards (intel ether
express and generic 3com) with the same results: I
cannot ping out or in to the box or otherwise get any
indication that the card is being recognized on the
network at all (although the boxes work fine on any
other network I've had them on). The router is getting
traffic to the port, and I have tried several network
cables, switches and hubs.

Networking is definitely not my specialty - I had to
do some homework to even figure out how this netmask
gives the network 511 addresses. Is there something
special about this type of setup that is making my
life miserable?

Any help would be _greatly_ appreciated.