Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:52:53 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        maddockc@wgss.net (Chris Maddocks)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as file server

Chris Maddocks wrote:

> I'm wondering, how difficult would it be to set up a file server running
> FreeBSD on a network?  Assuming my network card were supported, and I
> wanted to use only free packages/software, would I be able to do it?

Depends on whom (or what) you wish to serve files to...

If you're serving NFS clients, just enable nfsd and mountd in /etc/rc.conf
(if you're using a late model FreeBSD, that is), and read the appropriate man
pages.  Then write yourself an /etc/exports file (see exports(5)).

If you're serving SMB clients (LanManager, Windows NT/95/WfW), Samba will do
the trick.  (http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/)  You can simply install the
FreeBSD port (or a package).

If you want to serve Netware clients, then currently you're out of luck
without a commercial add-on (and here I speak under correction).

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878