Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:49:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Read-only root partition. [SYSLOG]

> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > Ok so we've all looked at this before..
> > The main problem to haveing a read-only root filesystem would seem to be
> > the pipe created by syslog in /dev.
> >
> > /dev/log is a unix domain socket created when syslogd starts up.
> >
> > Possible options include..
>
> What about putting /dev/log into /var/run?  Or another /var/ subdir  for
> the purposes of unix domain sockets (e.g. /tmp/msql.sock is another
> candidate)
>
> Danny

Problem is that all the clients use /dev/log too. The way I get around
this is to just put a symlink in /dev/log and tell syslogd to use
/ftp/dev/log

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons