Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:05:57 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hopefully three simple questions

In the last episode (Dec 09), Zhihui Zhang said:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > > Zhihui Zhang wrote,

> I have found a solution (hopefully correct):
>
> # find / -type d -ls | awd '{print $2, $11}' | sort -n | tail
>
> -Zhihui

The "size" of the directory printed by 'find' does not always indicate
how many files are in it.  If you fill a directory with files and then
delete every other file, it won't be able to compact out the empty
slots.  You'll have to walk the entire directory tree and count the
files in each subdirectory, I'm afraid.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com