Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:00:32 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbussifying drivers

| Typically, probe routines these days are invoked with a single set of I/O
| parameters to probe (and even this is only ISA devices).
|
| It's pretty rare to need to bit-bang to find a device these days anyway;
| you should probably be looking for PnP data or similar.  This is what
| hints are (basically) - manually-supplied PnP data.

How would you recommending fixing this, taken from the ex driver?

for (ioport = 0x200; ioport < 0x3a0; ioport += 0x10) {
            /* No board found at address */
            if (!look_for_card(ioport)) {
                    continue;
            }
            if (bootverbose)
                    printf("ex: Found card at 0x%03x!\n", ioport);
            /* Board in PnP mode */
            if (eeprom_read(ioport, EE_W0) & EE_W0_PNP) {
                    /* Reset the card. */
                    outb(ioport + CMD_REG, Reset_CMD);
                    DELAY(500);
                    if (bootverbose)
                            printf("ex: card at 0x%03x in PnP mode!\n", iop
                    continue;
            }

I'm taking this on as my personal project, so the more info i get, the
better work i can do.  :-)

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates