Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:35:11 +0100
From:      redmyrlin@eml.cc
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with newsyslog

I have just acquired a new virtual server and have set up newsyslog.conf
to mirror that on my old virtual server.  On my old server the logs are
rotated and compressed without any problems.  The old server runs
FreeBSD 4.9.

The new server runs FreeBSD 4.10, and I'm getting the following errors
reported by Cron
-------
newsyslog: can't notify daemon, pid 84000: Operation not permitted
newsyslog: log /var/log/maillog.0 not compressed because daemon(s) not
notified
newsyslog: can't notify daemon, pid 43506: Operation not permitted
newsyslog: log /var/log/ssl_engine_log.0 not compressed because
daemon(s) not notified
------

pid 84000 refers to /usr/sbin/syslogd -s
pid 43506 refers to /usr/local/sbin/httpd -DSSL

I cannot see any difference in way I have setup newsyslog and am at a
loss to know how to proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Graeme