Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 11:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Van Epp <vanepp@sfu.ca>
To:        bob@eng.ufl.edu (Bob Johnson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Ethernet cards? (Xircom Cardbus, plus misc. questions)

	Thanks for the reply. A bit of rtfwp (Web page instead of manual :-) )
turned up the PAO laptop project in Japan. Their latest 3.4-RELEASE kernel
hangs my laptop so badly I have to pop the battery to reset it. 4.0-RELEASE
runs on the lap top, but even with a rebuilt kernel with the xe driver enabled
doesn't see the card. The only good news is that I have a working (I just
tested it with CUTCP :-) ) packet driver for the card. That implies a little
(or a lot :-)) of disassembling will get me how the card works and from there
I guess the education on writing FreeBSD drivers start then :-)
	I'll send the PAO folks an "its dead jim" report on the laptop/Enet
card and see if they have any suggestions. They look to be integrating their
stuff in to the 4.0 release stream rather than doing it in parallell any more.