Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:07:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Sam Xie <sam@samxie.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory leak?

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> Well, I know for sure that netscape leaks memory, but not that
> much, for most purposes though, the "inactive" memory is free for
> use by other programs, it's just being kept as inactive because
> some program stored in that memory that has exited might be run
> again, and it's faster to run from inactive memory than disk if it
> hasn't been used for anything else... I think my explanation is
> WAY simplified, but I think I got it basically right.

I think you are thinking about "cache" memory.  As far as I understand
it, "inactive" memory is just "active" memory that hasn't been used in
30 seconds i.e. dirty pages that are still associated with objects and
cannot be reused until they are cleaned or freed (i.e. moved into
either "cache" or "free".)  At least, that's how I've understood it.

As far as tracking down memory leaks (original post), I would first
reboot the machine, take a "ps aux", and then the next day another "ps
aux" and see what has changed.  You are sure to find something.

-Paul.