Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:35:12 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bob Van Valzah" <Bob@Talarian.Com>
Cc:        "pW" <packetwhore@stargate.net>, <FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Racoon Problem & Cisco Tunnel

Thanks!

It's not really a religious war, because there's valid reasons
to move to IPv6 and I think it's obvious that ultimately the
Internet is going to have to go there.  But, what the engineers
don't understand is that this is a political problem, not a
technical problem.  They just see it like the Post Office sees
it when they need a new zip code.  What they always forget is
that there's ways to twist the arms of people that are address
space hogs that will force those addresses to be upchucked - thus
the "imminent shortage" magically disappears for another 6
months until the next person's arm needs to be twisted.  And,
there's an incredible number of arms out there that can be twisted.

Take some of those large corporations, like SquishySoft, that
have entire class A's assigned to them, but firewall the entire
address space off from the public Internet, and only allow
incoming connections to perhaps 100 of them.  Would you like
to be the CEO of Squishy when the papers start rolling the story
of how this company's completely unjustified hanging-on of this
block is preventing another 16 million people from being brought
on to the Internet?

I agree with you on ISP's needing to hand out public numbers.
The ISP I work for hands them out with every account, either
work or home, for no extra charge.  As long as you know what
your doing when you put together your network it's not a problem
for the ISP.  I've even been known to cut the occasional /29 subnet
to people that had justification for it.  I only draw the line at
the people that want a dozen numbers in the DSL bridge itself and
are too cheap to buy a router.  But, going beyond a /29 for a
small company - that's a different story, and we make people jump
through hoops before doing it.