Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 22:44:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: Heads up and and a call for a show of hands.

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> As to the question of "override vs overlay", after listening to
> various people's comments, I'm thinking that the following compromise
> scenario would also make some sense:

Close.
> local_dirs="/usr/local /usr/X11R6"	# local hierarchies of importance.
> local_startup=YES			# NO to deactivate local scripts.

No good.  I want to run startups in /usr/local, but only ldconfig in
/usr/X11R6, or vice versa.  If you want to do this, the only way that works
is to explicitly enumerate both sets of paths :

local_loadpath="..."
local_startups="..."

This is simpler to understand, simpler to parse, and completely covers
all possibilities by separating two things that have no reason to be
associated in the first place.

My personal take on the ldconfig situation : ldconfig should have an
internal set of default paths (initiallt just /usr/lib), which can be
manually inhibited on the commandline if required, it should support
/etc/ld.so.conf by reading it if it exists, and it should take paths on
the commandline.

As for whether /etc/ld.so.conf should override the inbuilt search
path, the obvious answer is _no_; there is a perfectly good control
for this on the commandline.