Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 19:04:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        toneil@visigenic.com (Tim Oneil)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> >Re-installs are pretty common in the user world.
>
> I disagree. I used NT 3.5.1 for a year, the only thing I did to it
> was apply a patch when they became available, and then upgrade (so to
> speak) to NT 4.0 when it came out. I would really like to know
> what symptoms I should look for coming from my workstation that
> let me know when its time for a re-install. Do you mind?

One of the problems is the cr*p that builds up when you are
designing/debugging/hacking OCX's...  Also, the version management
is really nasty -- note the problem with VB5 being incompatible
with new OCX's.  You can quickly/easily mess up an NT config, with
little recourse other than reinstall, or forage around a bunch
of dll's or ocx's to find the one that is the wrong version.  That
is very tricky on NT.  I have seen people "just give up."

John