Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:10:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        lveax <lveax.m@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I can't see my user name in `pw group show wheel`

--------------enigCD6CA2CBAE74C796AE7F232E

lveax wrote:
> On 12/22/06, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>> The primary group is defined in /etc/master.passwd -- the gid
>> number is put into the third field.  Eg: consider the standard
>> system user bin:
>>
>> happy-idiot-talk:~:% id bin
>> uid=3D3(bin) gid=3D7(bin) groups=3D7(bin)
>> happy-idiot-talk:~:% pw group show bin
>> bin:*:7:
>> happy-idiot-talk:~:% pw user show bin
>> bin:*:3:7::0:0:Binaries Commands and Source:/:/usr/sbin/nologin
>>         ^
>>         ^
>>
>> No UIDs are listed as members of group bin in /etc/group, but the
>> bin user has bin as their primary group deom the password file.

> thank you
>=20
> but i find an exception?
>=20
> $ id root
> uid=3D0(root) gid=3D0(wheel) groups=3D0(wheel), 5(operator)
>=20
> root's primary group is wheel and root is in the list?

Yeah.  The root account is special in many ways, and what you point
out is just one visible manifestation of that.  However I suspect
this is of no deeper significance than historical inertia -- something
that's been in BSD password and group files since the epoch or
thereabouts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK