Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:22:55 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About gtk library versions and dlopen()

--=-SKyjecs9Gnr8PLy7l/SY

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 10:17 +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> I see that in the marcuscom repository the gtk libraries have a version=20
> of 0 (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0), whereas the current stable port has a=20
> version of 600 (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.600). Could someone please explain the=20
> logic behind the gtk library versioning and whether the committed gnome=20
> 2.12 will keep the 0 versions?

The .0 versions are more inline with Linux's versions.  Jean-Yves
devised a libtool hack to restore "proper" library versioning, so we
will keep these .0 versions for as long as the Linux guys do.

>=20
> The main issue I'm trying to solve is whether we can dlopen a shared=20
> library on FreeBSD by specifying a version number of 0 and let the=20
> dynamic linker load the version that is currently installed. It seems=20
> that Eclipse on Linux and other Unix systems does this and they claim we=20
> have a weird linker.

Yes, we can.  However, in the past we had versions that changed with
each minor release.  Now we are trying to be more consistent with other
platforms so things like dlopen'ing libraries will work out-of-the-box.

Joe

--=20

--=-SKyjecs9Gnr8PLy7l/SY

--=-SKyjecs9Gnr8PLy7l/SY--