Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:47:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>, rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 04:48:39PM -0500, Igor Roshchin wrote:
> > Well, although we all understand what is "The Good Thing",
> > the reality of life makes us to do some compromises.
> > I believe, several (I would even say `many' )
> > people on this list have done upgrades
> > (either via "make world" or via sysinstall)  a) remotely
>
> Many people like to jump out of planes for thrills, too :-)

Yes, but they receive a *lot* of warnings before they do, they see others
do it and live. Then, of course, they have a parachute too... (^_^)

What about not letting a bin extract *overwrite* files? (I know there is
work for that and I haven't offered to do it, but I'm asking to consider
it.) When doing an install from scratch, the mkfs has been run, so the
filesystem is clean. I don't know what to do for binaries for upgrades,
but the current approach doesn't work for that either, right?

If I'm off-base, say so and I'll crawl back into the machine room - Jy@

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj--