Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:42:34 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm-color ?

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 08:38:46PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> wrote:
>
> > Rather do it in your own .xinitrc or .xsession as appropriate.  For
> > example, you might put this in your .xinitrc:
> >
> > 	TERM=xterm-color; export TERM
>
> Sheldon didn't test that. It will not work. xterm ignores the value
> of TERM in the environment. You can start xterm with "-tn xterm-color".
> If you want to set it as a general preference, put
>
> XTerm*termName: xterm-color
>
> in your ~/.Xdefaults.

Which version of xterm and XFree86? I have both set (setenv TERM
xterm-color in ~/.cshrc) so I commented out ``XTerm*termName:
xterm-color'' in ~/.Xdefaults, ran ``xrdb < .Xdefaults'' and ``xrdb
-query'' to confirm it was not set, started an xterm and ran
sysinstall and it appeared in colour.

> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99