Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:19:30 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar damaged (not related to FreeBSD :)

Greg Black wrote:

> > does anyone know of any tricks to repair a file damaged by an ASCII ftp
> > transfer?
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > is there any way to reconstruct the files?
>
> No.  You'll have to use your backups.

Isn't this similar to when Netscape's browser downloads a binary file in
'text' mode? - If it is, you can get utilities (e.g. 'winuncook') which "fix"
the file again...

Maybe it is possible? - Or at least worth looking at :-) - You could probably
setup a small 'test.tgz' and deliberately put it through the ASCII ftp to see
if you can put it back together again at the other side?

Infact, I just did it here! - I copied a Windows NT executable into a .tgz,
sent it through an ASCII transfer, tried unzipping it (it fails), run it
through Winuncook, try unzipping it - it works, then run the original .EXE and
it worked... :-) - so it would seem possible...

-Karl